Social media set unrealistic standards in society
Nowadays, social media is playing a significant role in child life. Everyone is busy on Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
There are positive things and negative things about social networking.
POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT SOCIAL MEDIA:
- It has a hundred opportunities to make friends closer, in case one wasn’t having friends in the real world, but they should be more careful while making friends online.
- Social media makes the world smaller, closer, and together as social media creates a family living together as if they are in the same place, even if they are staying abroad.
- It helps to spread communication through the world faster and easier.
- In some cases, Social media is the best platform to prove one’s talent, earn, or even get popular by having many opportunities. If a person wants to sell products, he/she can upload on-page and make, or start a page that they are familiar with and get famous.
NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT SOCIAL MEDIA:
DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY:
Most people spend a long time on social networking sites, due to this person can be depressed, and anxious. In social networks, many positive and negative things are uploaded. As people are more addicted and reacting to every situation and getting poor mental health, including symptoms of anxiety and depression, poor sleep quality, lower self-esteem, inattention, and hyperactivity, this is mostly in teens and adolescents.
Cyberbullying is bullying caused due to over digital devices and occurs through SMS, Text, apps, online in social media. Includes sharing or posting negative, harmful, false, or someone’s private information that makes embarrassment or humiliation. Social media may harm one’s online reputation; due to this, not only one person has bullied even others who are involved in this can harm. Some of the boarding schools in Dehradun provide special education on It acts regarding cyberbullying so that students remain aware of these crimes. It is a hard task for a child to overcome. It takes more time to recover from the situation.
People often post pics on Instagram pages, Snapchat, Facebook, etc… with heavily staged photos. This social media creates unrealistic expectations of life and friendship in their minds. It can create a negative impact on the sense of self-worth, confidence, and wellbeing. Social media has the power to break the right relationships because of increasing false expectations and jealousy. As if we observe if a couple is using social media and one of them posted a pic with someone unaware of your partner, by seeing this hi/she could get jealous with that pic and started investigating the person. They trust each other, and this may lead to breaking up and emotional pressure on each other.
Social media is more harmful than cigarettes and alcohol. People often check likes and views of pic or videos; this can lead to mental stress and depression. For example, if a group of friends at the same age upload something, they calculate followers, and likes on their page, if one has fewer followers than compared to others. He/she gets depressed and starts posting negative things on the page to get more likes and followers. Mostly this may happen to teens and adolescence.
TIPS TO HANDLE THE SOCIAL MEDIA
As social media is a vital part for everyone, an opening door for the harmful lights. Hear some tips to handle the negative part of social media.
- spend less time on social media
- Please do not focus on likes, followers, and comments on social media, try to avoid them.
- Try to make alternative hobbies like reading books, spending time with friends, and families.
- Move your minds to positive things that make you happy, rather than wasting time on concentrating on negative thoughts.
- Follow only honest, trusted, known, and safe pages.
- Don’t overreact or strain your brain on every comment or issue posted.
- Follow the best pages which are having cute things which make you happy after watching them and make relaxation, and free from stress.
Social media is setting unrealistic standards in society. But the main thing is how a person is using it, whether in a right way or a wrong way it depends on them. If a person is using positively, then he/she is opening doors of a bright and happy future or else opening the doors of a dark room that is filled with full emotions and painful life.