HOW TO ENHANCE STUDENT ENGAGEMENT IN CLASSROOM
A student-teacher relationship is essential for both the teacher as well as the student. It helps the teacher impart their knowledge in the best way and helps them understand the problems faced by the students.
boarding schools in India said to build up a good relationship, one must enhance the engagement of students in their class. Students already feel burdened with all of their studies and extracurricular activities. Under such circumstances, they mostly listen to only those teachers they like, find their classes exciting, and understand what is being taught. There might be cases where the student is not naturally interested in the subject, and that is perfectly understandable; no one likes all the issues, but if you keep your class engaged, the student will try their best to pay attention to your words and also discuss things with you for some advice.
As a teacher, you must be wondering how to do that, especially if you are a new teacher.
Here are some tips that can help you with this.
● Use different teaching methods: Students tend to get bored when they have to do the same thing in every class. A teacher must try other forms of teaching to keep children interested and see which method works best for them and the students. This is also very important for those new to the profession to experiment with what students like and what they do not.
● Make good use of technological advancement: Most of the children and teenagers of today’s time are lured by technology. One of the best ways to keep them engaged in your class is to use screens and sounds to make the learning process more fun and effective. Visual aids make learning faster and help in retaining the knowledge for more time.
● Devote class time to interacting with students: Although a teacher’s job is to give children notes, complete the syllabus on time, take their tests, etc. It is also essential for a teacher to know the students personally and form a connection. Make sure you take out some time at least once a week to interact with the students. This will also help you in bonding with those kids who do not speak much during classes.
● Praise the students- schools in dehradun teachers miss out on is that they do not praise the students often, or even if they do, it is usually the child who gets the highest marks in their subject. This demotivates other students in participating in the class. Make sure that as a teacher, you praise everyone, if not for doing good enough, then at least for trying. This will boost the confidence of children and increase their interest in your class.
● Keep the classes brief: If you keep teaching for an extended period without any break, it is natural for students to lose interest after some time. Ensure giving them breaks in between classes. You could use that time to interact with them, show some video or take a small quiz. This will relax their minds and help them in focusing better during the rest of the class.
● Listen to them and assess what they expect from you- Sometimes, children want you to work on specific things and understand them and their problems. As a teacher, you must not judge any of your students and listen and listen to what they want from you. This will also lead to them coming to you for any personal challenges they face, and you can guide them better. This builds trust and hence contributes to building a strong bond.